Wednesday, January 18, 2012

So Much For Nothing Interview


1. Can yo tell us a little bit about the band for those that have never heard of you before?

It all started in 2007 when I wrote a couple of songs which didn’t’t fit my other band Sarkom, so instead of just throwing them away, I decided to write a whole album as a solo project. I knew that this would take a long time, but as the songs started to take shape, I also knew that it would be worth it in the end. People / bands are usually so eager to get their music out as soon as possible, but this was never my intention. When I had written all the songs I asked Uruz if he would like to play drums on the album, and we started recording it pretty soon after that. So it’s been a long ride, but finally the album is here!


2. How would you describe the musical sound of the new album and how it differs from previous releases?

I would probably describe it as decadent dark metal-pop/rock of it’s finest art! Or something like that… This is our first release, except from a split 7” with Angst Skvadron last year, so I can’t compare it to any previous releases except from that one… But I guess it’s sort of the same sound and feeling as that one has.


3. What are some of the lyrical topics and subjects the band explores with the music?

The lyrics are based on a result from several years of darkness. Instead of whining to each and everyone about how much everything sucks and seem pointless, I’m privileged to be able to express these feelings and opinions through my lyrics. So the lyrical topics and subjects is about life and death, grief, darkness and alcohol, as well as everything else which comes natural to me to write about.


4. What is the meaning and inspiration behind the band’s name?

Well, it’s about all the disappointments and negativity in life. Whether it’s a small or big thing, I think most people have this feeling from time till another.. I mean, let’s say you’re an athlete and have been practising and lived for a sport like skiing your whole life. You have set a goal for the Olympic Games 6 years ahead, and finally you advance from the qualify. One week before it starts, you break your leg and you must cancel the whole championship.. So all this effort and hard work has been for nothing. And let’s say you run like hell for 10 minutes to catch a bus and you miss it anyway! So much for nothing!!! When I chose this name for the band, I expected lots of negative feedback as it didn’t “fit in” in the metal scene, but hey! That’s a part of the point as well! I don’t want this to appeal to only necro metal heads, but as many people as possible with a sense for good music! So if people find the name funny or stupid, I don’t care. I think it is the perfect name for the band! Isn’t this also a part of what black metal is; doing what you want, stand alone and don’t follow any trends?


5. Has the bands ever had any opportunities to do any live shows, if so what are some of the best shows that the bands has played so far and how would you describe your stage performance?

Not yet, but we are planning to put together a live line up, so hopefully you will be able to see SMFN at a venue nearby sooner or later.


6. Currently there are only 2 members in the band, are there any plans to add other musicians in the future or do you choose to remain a duo?

The idea was that SMFN was supposed to be a solo project, so I don’t think we will bring in any others on a permanent basis, at least not for now. This makes me completely free to do whatever I want and take all decisions on my own!.


7. On a worldwide level how has your music been received by black metal fans?

Hard to say… The album has only been out a couple of days, so I haven‘t got much feedback from black metal fans yet. But I guess that some will like it and some will hate it, as it‘s not corpsepainted “true“ black metal…However, the reviews have been overwhelming so far, so I’m excited to see/hear further reviews and feedback.


8. Are there any side projects besides this band or is this a full time line up?

I’m doing vocals, as well as song writing, in a band called Sarkom. We have released two albums and we are recording our third one these days. You can check it out at HYPERLINK "http://www.sarkomsect.com/" www.sarkomsect.com Uruz plays drums in Urgehal, as well as some other projects.


9. What direction do you see your music heading into on future releases?

I’m already planning to record the second album next summer, as I‘m almost done with the material! I guess it will have an even more “pop feeling”, also with some “happy” tunes, but don’t worry, it will still be a very dark and decadent album… I’m not sure what instruments I will use, but hopefully more than just the regular ones this time as well. Either way, I think it will be a killer album, as the songs really are starting to take shape!


10. What are some bands or musical styles that have influenced your music and also what are you listening to nowadays?

I think that pop music and black metal is what have influenced me the most, but I’m not sure about any specific bands… I’ve been listening to new songs and material in progress for SMFN and Sarkom(I always do this until it’s finished…) lately. Besides that, Seigmenn, Burzum - Fallen, Shining - VII and Urfaust.


11. Does Satanism or Occultism play any role in the music?

No.


12. Outside of music what are some of your interests?

Not much actually… I’m a “night person”, which suits me fine, as they’re sending Australian Open every night live on Eurosport these days! I hope to follow Federer and see him in the final on my big screen TV with a glass of vodka in my hand!


13. Any final words or thoughts before we wrap up this interview?

Feel free to add us on HYPERLINK "http://www.facebook.com/somuchfornothing" www.facebook.com/somuchfornothing for the latest news, and make sure to check out Livsgnist! Hopefully it will be worth the money, but here’s a little tip for optimal effect: Listen to the album when you’re alone and under heavy infliction of alcohol.

No comments:

Post a Comment