Monday, June 4, 2012

Sylvan Realm Interview


1. Can you tell us a little bit about the band for those that have never
> heard of you before?

Sure I will tell you a lot about the band!

Sylvan Realm is a band without boundaries or barriers in creating a
higher caliber of otherworldly compositional soundscapes.
stylistically Sylvan Realm infuses various elements of black metal,
doom metal, progressive metal, 70' psychedelic rock, 80's heavy metal,
death metal, trash metal, neo folk, and more. Sylvan realm is a
progressive band in the sense that many elements from different styles
of music are entwined to form a unique exquisite blend of dark intense
music that sounds unlike anyone else. Rendering a refined crafted
blend of music were each style comes together to create a
sophisticated compositional flow in each song. but Instead of
reinventing the wheel by mixing various style, Sylvan Realm holds the
touch to further explore down the path of uncharted territories. The
results equal a truly original approach of breaking down the barriers
in metal while at the same time still paying homage to the bands who
have laid down the foundations.

Sylvan Realm has unleashed its 1st full length album in 2011 titled
"The Lodge Of Transcendence". Sylvan Realm arose from the ashes of the
melodic black/death metal band Reverie that was formed in 2003 and put
out one full length album titled "Isolation" in 2007. Since then band
founder Sylvan relocated from the rocky mountains of Montana to
Maryland. In 2010 Sylvan changed the bands name to Sylvan Realm and
recruited Evan Madden (Woods of Ypres, The Green Evening Requiem, Woe)
to unleash his musical vision behind the drums and Jason "Deathdancer"
Eckert (Aurora Borealis, Todesbonden, Rain Fell Within) for his
mastery of the bass. While Sylvan preformed Vocals, guitars, and
created the album art work. Both "The Lodge of Transcendence" by
Sylvan Realm and "isolation" by Reverie have been released, and
distributed through Sylvan's own Reverie Recordings label.

 The Lodge of Transcendence is a concept album based upon unlocking
cosmic gateways found deep within nature. Ultimately reaching
enlightenment of the minds eye after traveling through everything,
nothing, infinite light, infinite darkness, and completing the voyage
beyond dualism to veer the microcosm into the macrocosm, and the
macrocosm into the microcosm. The album was written over a four year
time frame, were each song was crafted to be a composition with
multiple movements, styles, and changes in mood. Overall The Lodge of
Transcendence takes some time to fully absorb and is not a work with
immediate results such as a David Lynch film. The album was
intentionally written were each song flows into the next song and
picks up were the last song left off creating one ongoing concept that
feels more like one conceptual composition instead of mere collection
of songs. Other then the above mentioned concept that The Lodge of
Transcendence is based upon, the inspiration behind Sylvan Realm comes
from the following sources: isolation, the cosmos, vast landscapes,
abandonment, misanthropy, metaphysics, dreams, enlightenment, astral
traveling, naturalism, hidden truths, cosmic gateways to other
dimensions, reaching higher planes of spiritual awareness, and the
spiritual realm within nature. The Lodge of Transcendence was
recorded, mixed, and mastered by Ron Vento (Aurora Borealis) at
Nightsky studio during October 2009 to January 2011 in Waldorf
Maryland. The album was meticulously mixed and mastered on superb
analog gear to create a organic, natural, atmospheric, and overall
live sounding nostalgic production.
>
> 2. How would you describe your musical sound?
An eclectic journey through various musical styles, with an overall
dark feel and black metal foundation. I like to call it eclectic dark
metal, however most people are calling the music progressive black
metal.
>
>
> 3. What are some of the lyrical topics and subjects the band explores with
> the music?
Enlightenment through reaching higher states of spiritual awareness,
and ones microcosmic journey into the grand cosmic macrocosm.
>
>
> 4. What is the meaning and inspiration behind the bands name?
Sylvan Realm works on two levels for the bands name. The 1st level is
that the spiritual realm of nature is a deep influence on my music.
The sprit of the wilderness has given to me many lessons through its
profound wisdom that in return I unleash into music. The other level
that the name works is it is the name of the magic circle or head
space you can say that I travel to when I create.
>
>
> 5. The band started out as Reverie,  what was the decision behind the name
> change?
>
Yes indeed it did start out as Reverie back in 2003. Reverie had a
different sound and message, I was at a much different stage in my
life and after the album Isolation was recorded and done I felt
everything that I wanted to express under the banner of Reverie was
complete and that it was time to shed old skins and usher in the
transformation into Sylvan Realm.
>
> 6. I have noticed that the band started out solo but there is know a full
> band, how would you compare that to working solo?
Not necessarily my friend, I shall explain. Reverie was me on guitar,
bass, and vocals working with a session drummer. Sylvan Realm is me on
Guitar, and vocals with a session bassist and different session
drummer. I compose/write all the songs solo however call in session
musicians to bring my musical vision to life.
>
>
> 7. Has the band been able to play out live yet or is this a studio project?
For now its a studio project, in the future there may be some live
shows but no plans yet.
>
>
> 8. On a worldwide level how has the feedback been to your music by fans of
> underground metal?
extremely positive but limited so far. Not many people know about
Sylvan Realm for the band is very underground. The reviews that the
band has received so far have been great, out of every review I have
read there was only one person who did not care for the album... I
suppose there is always that one out there!
>
>
> 9. What direction do you see your music heading into on future releases?
Always changing, I draw from many different styles and influences and
am always growing spiritually and musically. I am currently preparing
to record the next album that will focus much more on clean guitar
tones centering more so on doom and neo folk influences.
>
>
> 10. What are some bands or musical styles that have influenced your music
> and also what are you listening to nowadays?
A lot!!! I spend countless hours listing to all different types of
music and still buy/trade CD's just about every week. I am always
searching for hidden musical gems both old and new and spend a lot of
time in general listing to and playing music. I don't want to give a
grocery list of bands that I listen to but I generally listen to these
styles... Progressive rock&metal, 60's-70's psychedelic rock, black
metal, doom, death metal, thrash, jazz fusion, shredder guitar,
classical guitar, neo folk, ambient, post rock, depressive rock and
metal, gothic rock and metal, industrial, blues, classic heavy metal,
power metal, speed metal, and that about covers it all... After typing
that I feel like Bubba from the movie Forrest Gump!
>
>
> 11. Does Paganism or Occultism play any role in your music?
In a way, I suppose it all depends on ones interpretation of paganism
and the occult. In general the focus of the music is on spirituality
and enlightenment. I happen to find nature to be my primary temple in
reaching enlightenment. I don't use labels because there is no
boundaries to my own personal view on spirituality. So I don't call
myself a Pagan or occultist... yet I am well read and have practiced
in both of those areas in past years. As I create my music to be
eclectic, same goes for my spirituality.
>
>
> 12. You where originally from Montana then relocated to Maryland, how would
> you compare the metal scenes of both states?
You have done your homework my friend, however theres a slight twist!
I am from Maryland originally moved to Montana then moved to Bergen
Norway, then back to Montana, and then back home to Maryland. I have
always been full of wanderlust and am a traveling man, I have lived in
a handful of other places as well. As far as a scene in Montana or
Maryland there are some bands and people into metal but no real scene
that I am aware of. If there is one I wouldn't be in it since I am not
a typical metal head or group mentality scene follower.
>
>
> 13. Outside of music what are some of your interests?
Getting a bit personal are we haha? Well as far as personal interests
outside of music, my other interests consist of photography,
philosophy, psychology, traveling, culture, religion, geography,
history, and spirituality. As far as the other side of music goes I am
a bit of a gear head and tone nut you could say. I'm Always
researching different guitars, amps, and boutique guitar pick up's. I
am very into my gear and spend a lot of time plus effort on crafting a
unique tone.
>
>
> 14. Any final words or thoughts before we wrap up this interview?
Be on the look out for the new Sylvan Realm album that will start to
be recorded this summer!


Facebook
Myspace
ReverbNation
Stereokiller
Twitter
YouTube

No comments:

Post a Comment