Thursday, June 13, 2013

Koldscov Interview


1. Can you tell us a little bit about the project for those that have never heard of you before?

Koldscov is an atmospheric black metal project. I self-produced and released a six-song self-titled E.P., which is available digitally from Bandcamp for name your own price. I’m currently working on material for the first Koldscov full-length.

2. How would you describe your musical sound?

I would describe the sound as a melding of black metal, folk, post-rock and ambient styles. I have heard the self-titled E.P. described as “Early Burzum meets Agalloch,” which is a compliment I’ll take. I would also describe the Koldscov sound as raw and unpolished.


3. What are some of the lyrical topics and subjects the project explores with the music?

This is a difficult question for me to address. I still see myself as evolving in the lyrics/vocals department. The vocals on “Buried Under the Frozen Mountain” are non-sense shrieks and whispers.  On “Beset by Storm,” I borrowed some phrases from some poems in my W.B. Yeats collection, almost at random. I just used what seemed to fit at the time. I didn’t write them down and I probably would have a difficult time re-tracing what is there. I would encourage listeners to come up with their own impressions.

4. What is the meaning and inspiration behind the projects name?

Although I live in Florida, I have spent some time in North Illinois during the winter. There was a blizzard I experienced up there a few years ago that was absolutely beautiful. I went outside and took pictures during the storm and shoveled snow after it abated. The E.P. cover photo is from that storm.  Listening to good atmospheric black metal brings back those types of feelings for me. I wanted to convey the feeling of a cold forest, but in a unique linguistic way. Since my ancestors came over from Denmark in the late 1800s, I looked up the two Danish words for cold forest: “Kold” and “Skov.” I put the two words together and changed one of the k’s to a c. Koldscov was born.

5. Currently there is only 1 member in the band, are you planning on adding a line up in the future or do you choose to remain solo?

I’m open-minded about collaboration. I would love to have a real drummer playing a real drum set on my first full-length. I’ve talked to a couple drummers about it, but nothing seems to be happening. On the other hand, I love the creative control that I get when writing alone and I don’t have to worry about other people’s schedules. However, being a one-man project makes it just about impossible to play live.  The nature of my song writing process will probably insure that Koldscov remain a one-man project, but who knows what might happen.

6. Currently you are unsigned, are you looking for a label or received any interest?

The internet has made it possible to get your music out there pretty easily.  The important thing for me is that people are able to listen to and connect with the music. If a label wants to help me do that, that would be great.

7. On a worldwide level how has the feedback been to your music by fans of black metal?

I have received overwhelmingly positive feedback and reviews so far.  A couple of YouTube reviewers (Count Blagorath and Mr. Cannibal Spork) were kind enough to get the word out with their positive reviews of the E.P. Their video reviews really boosted the number of people listening. I have also come across a couple of people who have written favorably about the E.P. on their blogs. I also sold out of a limited CD pressing on my Bandcamp page. I sold many of those copies to people in Europe and South America. I’m glad so many people have connected with that 26 minutes of audio.

8. Are you involved with any other musical projects?
Not currently. I have interests in musical genres outside of metal, but I seem to be at my musical best writing cold and dark stuff.  I was in a two-man progressive/art rock project called “ Giant Space Wolves” but we are currently inactive. We never could seem to line our schedules up to get together and work on material.

9. What direction do you see your music heading into on future releases?

I love shoe-gaze stuff from bands like Slowdive, My Bloody Valentine  and M83. I have been experimenting with ways to incorporate some of those “Wall of sound” textures into new material. Also, I love post-rock.  I’m a huge fan of bands like Explosions in the Sky, Mogwai, Pelican, Sigur Ros and others. So, more experimentation with shoegaze and post-rock might be on the horizon.

10. What are some bands or musical styles that have influenced your music and also what are you listening to nowadays?

The biggest musical influences on the E.P. were Agalloch, Alcest, Burzum and Wolves In the Throne Room. I tend to listen to different music with different seasons. Winter is of course the time of year when I listen to a lot of black-metal. During the summer, I tend to listen to a wider variety of music. This summer I have been listening to quite a lot of M83, Alcest, Explosions in the Sky and Sigur Ros. I’m quite impressed by the new Sigur Ros album that is coming out next week (June 18). I also have been meaning to give the new Altar of Plagues a listen, but I haven’t gotten around to it yet.

11. How would you describe your views on Paganism?

I was raised in a conservative Christian home, and I went to a private Christian school for most of my childhood.  To put it very succinctly, I was psychologically damaged by my experiences with Christianity. It’s a long story. I went through an “Angry Atheist” phase for many years, but now I’m comfortable calling myself an agnostic. I think mythology is a very powerful thing that people can use to motivate and empower themselves.  I also like the way the pre-Christian or “Pagan” belief systems respect nature and acknowledge the feminine. I own a couple of necklace charms with Norse and Celtic symbols on them. I do find myself attracted to the aesthetics of pagan myths. Though, I can’t claim to be an expert.

12. Outside of music what are some of your interests?

If I’m not in my room with my guitar, I’m probably outside enjoying nature. I love to go hiking, cycling, camping and kayaking. I can’t get enough of the outdoors.  My wife and I are also huge fans of movie directors like Stanley Kubrick, Alfred Hitchcock, Terrence Malick and Darren Aronofsky, to name a few. We love the Game of Thrones series. I try to read a good book now and then, but I have trouble finishing them.

13. Any final words or thoughts before we wrap up this interview?

Thank you for your interest in my music and for getting the world out. I’m working on material for my first full-length, but the process takes a while for me. It’s not something that can be forced.

https://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Koldscov/3540360145

No comments:

Post a Comment