Thursday, June 20, 2013

Verwustung Interview


1. Can you tell us a little bit about this project for those that have never heard of you before?
Verwüstung was formed in mid 2010 for the purpose of writing and recording dark experimental music that later took a shift towards black metal. Not much has changed since then.

2. How would you  describe your musical sound?
Surrealist black metal.

3. What are some of the lyrical topics and subjects the band explores with the music?
Abstract, dream-like thoughts. A swirling haze of uncomfortable scenarios. It's very free-form and highly dependent on the imagination of the listener.

4. What is the meaning and inspiration behind the bands name?
It's a German word that I believe translates to 'desolation' if I'm not mistaken. The reasoning behind the name is simply because this project was initially an offshoot of my shoegaze band Airs in which I was using Verwüstung as a stage name for awhile. Simply a lazy choice.

5. Currently there is only 1 member involved with this project, how would you compare working solo to working with a full bands?
Exceptionally more boring. Members have come and gone in the past for the purpose of live shows, but nothing ever panned out. There may be one more attempt at live performances soon, however.

6. Currently you are unsigned, are you looking for a label or received any label interest for this project?
I'm always willing to entertain label offers, but so far the only interest I've gotten were from labels I'm not interested in working with or things that didn't work out. I've given up on the idea of a label supporting this project.

7. On a worldwide level how has the feedback been to your music by fans of black metal, drone and doom?
Exceedingly negative in recent times. It's a large part of why there will only be one more album; lack of public interest. Essentially every release since 'Beyond the Watercolor Sunset, We Feel New Life' has been panned simply because I have no interest in putting out the same album twice.

8. What is going on with the other musical projects these days?
My projects? Nothing worth mentioning.

9. What direction do you see your music heading into on future releases?
The final album, 'Captured in Her Eyes', will be more experimental than previous releases. I'm interested in exploring territory I held myself back from before. I suspect it'll alienate the more closed minded fans who latched on to the 'Watercolor' hype, but I guess that's the point of it to begin with.

10. What are some bands or musical styles that have influenced your music and also what are you listening to nowadays?
The most direct influences would have to be bands like Weakling or Bosse-de-Nage. I don't listen to much black metal anymore nowadays though. I've been very into this band from the 60s called Index and Japanese experimental arists such as Kengo Iuchi, Shizuka and Keiji Haino.

11.Outside of music what are some of your interests?
Reading and collecting anything applicable are two ways I enjoy passing time.

12.Any final words or thoughts before we wrap up this interview? 
Not especially. Thank you for the opportunity.

No comments:

Post a Comment