Wednesday, January 21, 2015

Suhnopfer Interview


6/01/2015 INTERVIEW Sühnopfer – webzine – OCCULT BLACK METAL
http://occultblackmetalzine.blogspot.fr/2015/01/suhnopferoffertoireles-acteurs-de.html

1.Can you give us an update on what has been going on with this musical project since the release of the new album?

“Offertoire” has been released on the 1st December on CD and LP, we’re waiting for a tape release within the next weeks, and also for another t-shirt printing.

2.In December you have released a new album, how would you describe the musical sound that is presented on the recording and also how does it differ from the stuff you have released in the past?

The new album sounds more professional, with a better production than before, and obviously my playskills and composing process have increased on “Offertoire”. It sounds in the vein of “Nos Sombres Chapelles” (2010) but with more worked and accomplished songs, more melodies and intensity than before on guitars, drums & vocals, and a homogeneous result.

3.This is the first album to be released in 4 years, can you tell us a little bit more about the gap between releases?

I spent two years to compose “Offertoire”, and was also involved in other band’s projects which took some time. The album was finally recorded in 2013, but we had some issues with the printing factory, the artworks were not printed correctly, so we lost almost one year for the final release.

4.Your lyrics cover some anti christian and misanthropic themes, can you tell us a little bit more about your interest in these topics?

It was the case when I started the band, but on the last albums I mixed the religious and death topics with the medieval themes, to create a special atmosphere and get back into dark times of obscurantism, and legends talking about some precise places of my country. It’s easy to talk about death, I’m working in a graveyard every day.

5.I know that 'Suhnopfer' means "atonement sacrifice", how does this name fit in with the musical style that you play?

It fits well with the religious topics I wrote in my firsts songs, however this topic remains in my last albums but a bit less I think. Playing black metal from the beginning meant for me speaking about religion in my songs in a roundabout way.

6.With this project you record everything by yourself but you have plenty of experience playing with full bands as well, do you feel you are able to express your musical vision a lot more with this project than with the other bands that you are or have been a part off?

I’ve been always part of other bands as a drummer, so with Sühnopfer I can truly express my musical vision by composing my all in my own songs, with guitar parts that make me trully feel something when I play.

7.The new album came out on 'Those Opposed Records', can you tell us a little bit more about this label?

It’s hold by a friend of mine who lived in my city some years ago, and who released Sühnopfer’s 1st album in 2010. He’s very involved in the bands he produces, and tries to do his best for the bands, and gave me such a good deal for “Offertoire”.

8.On a worldwide level how has the feedback been to your newer album by fans of black metal?

There has been a lot a people enjoying “Offertoire”, with excellent feedbacks. Even if I don’t play music to be popular, it seems that Sühnopfer’s fame is slowly but surely increasing with the new album.

9.What is going on with some of the other musical projects or bands these days that you are a part off?

We’re recording a new album with Peste Noire, and we will do so with Aorlhac. Christicide has split-up, but we planned to play a last gig in France.

10.Where do you see yourself heading into as a musician in the future?

Just continue to play with my bands and make the music I like with Sühnopfer, maybe by composing a new album through the next years.

11.What are some of the bands or musical styles that have had an influence on your newer music and also what are you listening to nowadays?

I’ve been a lot influenced by Sacramentum, Dissection or Setherial, and I’m always listening to their old albums and some other bands from the 90’s, I don’t have time to fin interests on some actual bands.

12.What are some of your non musical interests?

Medieval heritage and buildings, old shotguns…

13.Before we wrap up this interview, do you have any final words or thoughts?

Thanks for your interest and encourage people to listen to “Offertoire” through 2015!

Bandcamp
Facebook
Myspace
SoundCloud
Spotify

No comments:

Post a Comment