Monday, March 9, 2015

Heaven Abhorred Interview


Can you give us an update on what is going on with the band these days?
I'm starting to write some new music and its definitely going to be a new venture from the traditional style Black Metal that I've done in the past.

 Recently you have released an ep, how would you describe the musical sound that is presented on the recording?
It's a very raw lo-fi quality recording. I believe its best described simply as Black Metal, it’s very very repetitive, which I'm hoping to get away from soon.

 The band has been around since 2012 but waited until recently to release any music, can you tell us a little bit about the first few years?
The first few years were just us figuring out how to record really, the reason it took so long to release some material was vocalist wasn't always around, but now I'm doing a lot of the vocal duties as well so it should move along a tad quicker now.

 What are some of the lyrical topics and subjects the band explores with the music?
We've done a lot of different styles, we did a song about Vikings a few death metal songs but our main focus on the EP was definitely Satanism and Suicide. Not sure if this is something we will come back to or not, who knows, life is happening.

 What is the meaning and inspiration behind the name 'Heaven Abhorred'?
My friend Matt Bass was one of my largest inspirations to write and record music. Just seeing and hearing what he created on his own was great, I hadn't heard of one man metal until I talked to Matt. Long story short I got into recording and we needed a band name so I choose a song from the Misanthropist album by Matt's band Witchclan, and I picked my favorite one.

 What are some of the best shows that the band has played so far and also how would you describe your stage performance?
We have never played live.

 Do you have any touring or show plans for the future?
If the opportunity presented itself I would do what I could to find some musicians to fill the holes and go on with it!

 On a worldwide level how has the feedback been to your music by fans of black metal?
We have a few fans around the world mainly my close friends that have been here since day one which is all I could ever ask for anyways, everyone else is much appreciated I'm glad someone else enjoys it.

 When can we expect a full length album and also where do you see the band heading into musically during the future?
I think maybe next year, maybe... Nothing is set in stone and I have some big plans for our first full length. We've purchased some new gear and I will likely be on the drums for the first album rather than programmed drums. I recently ran into an old friend whom I haven't talked to in a year or what felt like years, and I think she'll be providing some lyrics for a song on the album. I think we may be heading in a more doomy direction rather than a traditional black metal sound. Who knows, time will tell.

 What are some of the bands or musical styles that have had an influence on your music and also what are you listening to nowadays?
There are too many to count but the big ones are of course, Watain and Dissection. Though lately I've really been into Leviathan and believe it or not Electric Wizard. Its led to an odd new sound that I may let everyone here with a little teaser in the coming months.

 How would you describe your views on Satanism and Occultism?
It isn't something I practice, I'm certainly well versed in it and have a good idea of what I'm talking about but it’s not a huge part of my life.

Before we wrap up this interview, do you have any final words or thoughts?
  I think that as time has gone on and I've connected with some old friends the idea of writing about my experiences has become a more interesting topic, sort of making the music a window into my life. We'll see what the coming months hold and who knows you may hear something completely new and unexpected. Until then all we can do is wait and take life day by day.
https://sixsixsixmusic.bandcamp.com/album/opening-the-gates

No comments:

Post a Comment