Monday, November 6, 2017

Harmdaud Interview


1.For those that have never heard of you before, can you tell us a little bit about the musical project?

Sure! I have had the idea of Harmdaud for quite some time but the band itself have only existed since mid 2016. By then I felt an urge to write a music in a different style than I normally do. So, in summer 2016 I decided to record some of the tunes that I had in the back of the head. I published the result on soundcloud under the name Harmdaud and got really good response. The tunes and ideas continued to flow so I decided to continue with the concept of the band.

After some months I had written and recorded the basis for like ten songs, and eight of them ended up on Blinda Dödens Barn.


2.How would you describe your musical sound?
I think you nailed it quite well in the review of Blinda Dödens Barn. It is like a dark, melodic and atmospheric mixture of black / death metal. With Harmdaud, I try not to get stuck in any musical label. If the idea that comes tend to the more metal, black metal style I go with that. If it is more to the doom/death style I go in that direction.

3.What are some of the lyrical topics and subjects that you explore with the music?
It mainly revolves around life and death, loss and sorrow. But, also I try to explore what is happening with the world around us, mainly what seems to be some sort of collective collapse of faith and humanity.

4.What is the meaning and inspiration behind the name 'Harmdaud'?
Harmdaud is an old fornnordic word that is found on runestones and scriptures, and such the translation is not exact. Though, it could translate to death in sorrow, or the death is in sorrow. But also sorrows death, and such the meaning could be dual, depending on the context. I liked that concept, and thought it to be fitting for the band and the lyrical concept.

Perhaps some professor in runescript now will tell me that I have got it all wrong and the translation is something totally different, but the name will stay.

5.On the album you record everything by yourself are you open to working with other musicians or do you prefer to work solo?
I would put it this way, that to some extent HarmDaud is, and probably will be a one-man band. I write and create the songs by myself. Though, the album Blinda Dödens Barn, and the end result is a two-man effort. I had amazing help by Vintersorg who is the producer of the album. He is some sort of wizard of sounds and audio and we worked with the recording, and songs together during the spring of 2017. So, he helped with finalizing the vision of Blinda Dödens Barn. 

6.Currently you are unsigned, are you looking for a label or have received any interest?
I have had some contact with a couple of labels early in the process, but the band is still unsigned. The first album, Blinda Dödens Barn is a self release, but I would prefer to find a good label to work with in the future.

7.On a worldwide level how has the feedback been to your music by fans of black, dark and death metal?
I have received a lot of good feedback on the album. Both from metal fans around the globe, and from reviews. And, to all the fans out there I can promise that there will be more releases from HarmDaud!

8.What is going on with some of the other bands or musical projects these days that you are a part of?
Gravisphere, where Im the vocalist and Vintersorg is the musical composor is currently finalizing the first album. As for TME, we are gathering the forces to start to try out a couple of new thrash metal anthems which we have written lately

9.Where do you see yourself heading into as a musician in the future?
Well, i´m not sure to be honest. But, that is the thing that makes it both a challenge, and an experience to be a musician. As I said earlier, I try not to label myself to any sort of genre or style, and I will continue to do my thing and see where it is headed! Though, one thing is sure! It will be metal in some form!


10.What are some of the bands or musical styles that have had an influence on your music and also what are you listening to nowadays?
I have grown up with the Nordic black metal / deathmetal scene in the late 80:s and 90:s, so I have gotten a lot of influence of such band as Bathory, Dissection, Emperor and Edge of Sanity to mention some. Summoning, Katatonia and My Dying Bride are three other bands which I still listen to a lot and get a lot of inspiration from. But, I listen to lots of stuff and it’s really nice to find new great band. A couple of months ago I discovered Panphage and their amazing album Drengskapr for example.


11.What are some of your non musical interests?
Family and friends!

12.Before we wrap up this interview, do you have any final words or thoughts?
Keep it metal and continue the support for the underground scene!

Bandcamp
Facebook
Spotify

No comments:

Post a Comment